Easy steps that will help your local SEO
Did you know that 97% of people use the internet to learn more about a local business? (SeoTribunal) Having a solid and professional online presence is more important every day. By setting up a Google My Business (GMB) account you are able to add another layer to your presence online.
If you are a local business and you want to increase your online traffic, this article is for you. Google my Business is more than just a business directory, it is also a great tool for driving traffic to your actual business location. It is a free tool that will also enrich your local SEO.
Table of contents
- How to Set Up Google My Business Listing
- Connect with you customers
- How to optimize your Google Business Listing
- How to work with Google Reviews
You can create your Google My business Account in a few easy steps:
- First go to the Google My Business Homepage
- Click the “Manage Now” icon.
- Type your business name. Google will then show you if there are any businesses with your same business name ( to avoid duplicates). If your business is not yet listed, you will get the option to “create a new business with this name”.
- The next step is to input your business address. Depending on your business, you have 1 of 3 options:
Store: If you have a physical store or office, you should type in your address in this field.
None: If you do not have an address where your customers can visit, simply leave the field blank. Click, “ Hide my address, it’s not a store”.
Service Area: If your business provides a service to a specific area, you can type in the specific area or an approximate area where your business services.
You can always hide your address if you do not want to specify your business location.
Your business address or area is extremely important for SEO and local search. With this information, Google will show your business in local market searches and in Google Maps. It will also show up when people search for results “near me”. Google searches with “near me” or “close by” have increased by 900% in the last 2 years! (ChatMeter)
- Type your business category. Try to be as specific and accurate as possible. This step is extremely important since it lets Google know what you are offering. This information will determine which Google searches are related to your business. Your business category will also appear publicly in your profile. Invest some time and thought into this category.
- Input up-to-date contact information.
Like we mentioned in our article on directory listings, we always emphasize the importance of having consistent and accurate information in all your listings.
In this form, you have the option of including your website and phone number. Including this information about your business establishes trust and credibility with your customers. Although it is not mandatory, we recommend adding this info.
- Verify your business.
After completing your profile, Google has to confirm if the information is true. Depending on your business, you have the option of doing a phone, email or postcard verification. These are all very simple and straightforward. Within a few days, your profile should be fully completed.
Provide value. Your profile should be useful and informative for customers. After all, customers search for a business on Google to learn more about it. Add some pictures and write a good description of who you are and what you offer. Your business is unique and it is up to you to let your customers know what you do best.
Optimize. With time, you can use Google my Business as a data source about your customers. This information is very useful for business owners. You can check how many customers searched for your address or how many people visited your website. You can use this information along with Google Analytics data from your website to optimize your online strategy.
Reviews. Another very important aspect to Google my Business is reviews. Google makes it very easy for people to leave reviews. Make sure you take the time to respond to reviews. Your profile is public and your reviews will be visible for anyone who searches for your business. Make it a habit to monitor your Google my Business account online or on the Google my Business app.
We believe your online presence is more than just a website. It is about creating a consistent image of your small business in every aspect. Google my Business is one of these tools. As part of our Online Presence Management package, we take care of this and much more!